Creative Practical Solutions for All
ARISE Adaptive Design works with people of all abilities to create low-cost one of a kind adaptive devices that allow individuals to flourish in all areas of life.
Who We Are
ARISE Adaptive Design is a volunteer collective of people with all types of abilities, their families and friends, clinicians, designers and makers. People with disabilities and their families are equal members of their design teams. Together we identify solutions to provide access and full participation in a wide range of activities and settings. Our design solutions are driven by the unique needs and interests of the design user. Families have long been great innovators in creating design solutions. Family-centered co-design takes families’ ingenuity one step further. We bring together design teams that include people with a variety of personal and professional skills and perspectives. This approach builds on families’ skill sets and enables larger community sharing by exposing clinicians, designers, and makers to collaboration.
What We Do
Work with individuals with disabilities and their families to develop highly customized, low-cost, creative equipment out of simple materials.
Partner with local schools and work with students to create projects that have real world application.
Provide demonstrations to educate the public on the process and benefits of adaptive design.
The Adaptive Design Approach
Observe, Understand Empathize
Why is Adaptive Design Needed
- Some adaptive equipment is too costly to purchase out-of-pocket
- The remaining cost of equipment after insurance pays is still far too expensive
- Insurance approval takes too long and children outgrow the equipment by the time it is finally received
- The individual is not aware that an adaptation could make certain activities in their life easier and more fulfilling
- Preconceived notions of an individual’s capabilities
Our Favourite Recipes
- Project LogThis is the excerpt for your very first post.